When a bottle is in ‘3rd party’ or ‘incoming’ status, it means that we do not have that particular bottle in our warehouse yet. We work with several winery partners on all of our offers and aim to have every bottle delivered to us before they go live on our website, and currently, this happens 99% of the time! Supply chain and logistics issues can mean that we aren’t able to get a delivery before an offer is available to our customers, but typically we receive the other 1% within 1-2 weeks. If the wine is an international import, supply chain issues can take a few more weeks to resolve.
If you are trying to ship but don’t qualify for free shipping due to 1 or more bottles being in ‘3rd party’ or ‘incoming’ status, please contact our customer support team. We’d be happy to help get your wines delivered ASAP!