There are 3 statuses for wine in your CloudCellar:
Wine that shows as 'In Cellar' is currently being stored at our Napa Valley warehouse. You can continue to cellar your wine with us or ship any wine that is 'In Cellar' status. You can request an of these bottles to be shipped by clicking the 'Ship' button on any of these wines. You can read more about how to ship here.
Wines that are 'In Cellar' will have a solid dark blue background
When a wine shows as 'Incoming' it has not yet been checked in at our Napa Valley warehouse. 99% of wines arrive at our warehouse before an offer is up on the website, however, supply chain and logistics issues can mean that we aren’t able to get a delivery before an offer is available to our customers. Typically we receive the other 1% within 1-2 weeks. If the wine is an international import, supply chain issues can take a few more weeks to resolve.
If you are trying to ship but don’t qualify for free shipping due to 1 or more bottles being in ‘Incoming’ status, please contact our customer support team so we can get this sorted out for you ASAP.
Wines that are 'Incoming' will have a transparent/black background and will have a call out as to how many bottles are still incoming
After you ship your wine, a record will be kept in your CloudCellar to help you remember all those fantastic bottles you have enjoyed or have at home ready to drink!
Wines that are 'Shipped' will have a transparent/black background